Friday, January 7, 2011

Pay It Forward Friday

I had planned on making the first Friday of 2011 one that blessed strangers and neighbors.  I was going to pay for the person behind me in line at Starbucks and hope that they pay for the person behind them, starting a chain of giving.  I had hoped to bake something to take to our new neighbor.  Taking donations to Goodwill was on my agenda.  I was going to make a difference in someone's life today.  I was going to pay it forward.  I was going to bring a bit of joy to someone's life.

That plan was foiled by reality.  I, instead, cleaned the kitchen, drank (A LOT of) coffee, attempted to manage two little girls' meltdowns, took a dog out to potty several times (that we've been working with for what seems like a lifetime).  I picked up several outfits off of the floor, as the kids changed clothes countless times; only to end up in their pajamas again.  I fixed Barbie's hair (and fixed it again when I was instructed that I didn't do it right the first time around).  I've torn off almost an entire roll of tape for Reagan so that she could fold and tape a piece of paper, fold it again and tape it again (and again, and again, and again...).  Now, I sit here typing, while Brodie is on a leash, attached to my arm (because our last trip outside was a total waste of 30 minutes).

I could find myself bummed out and irritated that I didn't get to pay it forward to a stranger today.  I could beat myself up for not making it to the grocery store to get the ingredients to bake something for our neighbor.  I could view today as a complete bust because I haven't yet checked off anything that was on my list of "To Do's".  Or, I could recognize that I did make someone smile today....Molly was very happy with Barbie's hair on my second attempt.  Reagan's paper will never have to worry about being soaked by water since it's laminated with enough Scotch Tape to supply Belk's gift wrapping department, at Christmas time.  Brodie doesn't have to worry about finding another "forever family" as a shelter, or rescue, puppy (for the time being).  My girls are smiling and I'm sure if Brodie knew how, he would be also.  I didn't bring joy to the lives of those outside my home today, but I filled the space we occupy with a lot of patience, love and laughter.  Sometimes the light you spark that will make a difference turns out to be a glow stick necklace. 


On the upside, thanks to a wonderful friend (and neighbor) I got my Starbucks.  I am hearing joyous voices of kids who are playing, instead of crying and I haven't had to clean the carpets at all today.  Thankfully, Goodwill is open until 9:00 tonight and Harris Teeter is open 24 hours, so I still have time in the day to change the lives of someone outside our condo.  For now, though, I'm going to change the lightbulb in the kids' room that has burned it.  It may take on the Northern Lights effect of other good deeds, but I know two little girls who will appreciate not bumping into dressers and shelves. 



One of the reasons I haven't gotten much done today...I was up untl 5:am crocheting
Day Five

2 comments: